Ever Witnessed the Hair Loss of Your Dog? Don’t Know What to Do? Read Further.
Do you have a fascination towards dogs? If yes, before bringing a pet to your house, you must know about their tendencies, habits and common diseases that might cause often. It has been seen that most of the people who have dogs as their pets aren’t familiar about the common diseases that come up in dogs. One of such terrible conditions is mange.
In short, mange means the hair loss in dogs. The primary cause is mites which are one kind of viruses seen in our atmosphere; it is known as canine scabies, too, a very contagious disease that can even lead to the death.
There are mainly two types of mange the commonly noticed in dogs:
- Demodectic: When the number of mites increases in the body and the dog becomes unable to control it, demodectic occurs.This affects the vast area of a dog’s body and causing hair loss. Not only that, it can also cause itchiness that can lead to rashes and other skin diseases too.
- Sarcoptic: This happens when the dog is physically mating with other dogs already suffering from mites. This can also cause scratchiness in the skin. Extensive hair loss can also come up.
There are symptoms with which you can identify which kind of mites have affected your dog.
Demodectic Mange Symptoms:
- Hair loss is the premium and significant symptoms of mange
- Itchiness can come up often
- Rashes and infected spots
- Formation of crust in various parts which are infected
Sarcoptic Mange Symptoms:
- Hair loss is common
- Itchiness along with worm formation in the infected areas
- Frequently passing yellowish urine
- High body temperature at particular point of times
If you identify any of the aforementioned symptoms in your dog, it is advised that you should diagnose you dog from a proper veterinarian.
A few of the proper diagnosis processes involve:
- Immediately consulting a veterinarian
- Proper medication so that the infection gets cured initially
- Urine test
Treatment for Mange in Dogs
The treatment process of mange is simple and easily attainable. However, one should remember that the treatment should begin before it spread to other areas.
There are mainly 2 types of treatments are available for treating mange in pets:
#1. Demodectic Treatment
In the majority of the cases, researchers have seen that mild demodectic treatment can be done with proper medication. This helps in rebuilding the immunity system of the body and also controls mites. Thus, appropriate antibiotics and a drug that kills the mites are enough.
#2. Sarcoptic Treatment
Sarcoptic treatment is a more severe case than the previous one. It should be treated with proper handling of the disease. The exact process is to deal dips, oral drugs, injections, etc. It is a procedure of almost a month. But, after the treatment, too, there should be proper maintenance of their health and the dog should be set free from contacting other animals.
Mange is indeed a curative disease if you observe it during the initial stages. However, the treatment will not be that useful in the late stages. Hence if you wish to take care of your dog’s health, make sure that you do at least 5 times checkup by yourself in a month. Never fail to break this rule.